Spring is almost here, and with the change in seasons comes changes in your HVAC needs. Soon, homeowners will start relying heavily on their AC units again, and less on their heating systems. Keep reading for the spring HVAC maintenance tips you need to know, courtesy of our heating and air conditioning professionals at Dial One Johnson Plumbing, Cooling & Heating.
The Top 7 Tips for Spring HVAC Maintenance:
- Replace your furnace and AC filters at the beginning of the season. This should ideally be done every month, but it is particularly important when the seasons change, as your equipment may have gone months without being used.
- Clear the drainage hole at the base of your air conditioner. This part can be found beneath the evaporator fins, and cleaned out with a toothpick or some kind of wire. The drainage hole is important for proper AC usage, so it should not be ignored when the warm weather sets in.
- To protect your indoor air quality, remove your dehumidifier’s exterior casing and vacuum it until it is clean.
- Speaking of indoor air quality, make sure to replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors and clean any dust out of the casings. This should be done twice a year: once in the spring, and once again in the fall.
- Seal your home’s doors and windows. Not only will this keep you from wasting money when you run your AC unit during the spring, it can cut down on your heating costs during the winter, too. You can do this with caulking or weather stripping.
- Take the cover off your bathroom fans, wash them with soapy water, and scrub the dirt off. This will help ensure your bathroom fan works properly all spring.
- Rinse screens with soap and water to make sure your home is well-ventilated. If your screens are extra dirty, you may want to use kerosene. Check screens for holes that need to be patched up while doing this.
For more spring HVAC tips, call Dial One Johnson Plumbing, Cooling & Heating now at (972) 362-9797, or send us a message online.