Trying to figure out what is going on with your plumbing can be overwhelming. You may ask yourself why the water heater is making that funny noise or why the shower suddenly lost water pressure. All of these questions can cause a lot of anxiety. The best way to get a reliable answer (and solution) is to ask a plumber. Plumbers are always happy to take a look at systems or appliances that you suspect may have a problem. Once they have completed a thorough inspection, they can let you know what the next steps are. Scheduling regular plumbing maintenance can help you avoid many problems altogether. If you would like to schedule Desoto plumbing service, call Dial One Johnson Plumbing, Cooling and Heating at (972) 291-0740. Take a look at the most common plumbing questions and answers:
1. Can I Use Chemical Drain Cleaners? While many homeowners clean their drains with store-bought chemical cleaners, these may actually do more harm than good to your plumbing and pipes. Often, the chemicals that are present in these cleaners are corrosive and can damage your piping. These cleaners usually sit in the pipes for a long time. This means that they are slowly eating away at anything present in the pipes, including the glue that is holding your pipes together. A safer alternative to chemical cleaners is half a cup of baking soda and half a cup of vinegar, followed by boiling water after 30 minutes.
2. What Can I Put Down My Garbage Disposal? Many homeowners use their garbage disposals as garbage cans, putting just about any kind of food waste in them. Take a look at this list of what you should put down your garbage disposal:
Here is what you should not put down your garbage disposal:
- Vegetable cuttings
- Cooked meat
- Fish bones
- Fruit pits and cuttings
Avoiding the above items will reduce garbage disposal issues. However, if you are having problems with your garbage disposal, make sure to contact a plumber right away so that they can take a look.
- Egg shells
- Stringy foods, like celery
- Bones and fat
- Plastic and paper
- Grease and oils
3. How Do I Fix a Slow Draining Sink? If you have a slow draining sink then you may have a clog in your piping. Clogs can be caused by all sorts of items such as grease, coffee grounds and toiletries. To avoid clogs in the future, be careful about what you put down the drain. Unfortunately, once your sink is starting to drain slowly there is not much you can do. You will have to call a plumber to remove the clog with a drain snake or hydro jet.
4. Why Is There Never Enough Hot Water? If you never seem to have enough hot water, your water heater may be too small. Water heaters are sized based on the home size. If your water heater was sized incorrectly then it may not be able to keep up with household demands. You will either have to replace the water heater or be careful about who is using water and when. The other issue that may be causing a lack of hot water is malfunctioning gas burners. Sometimes gas burners can become dirty or damaged which renders them incapable of supplying the hot water you need. If this is the case, you will need to call a plumber to fix it.
5. Where Is My Main Shut Off Valve? There are a few places where your shut off valve could be located. If you have a basement, it is probably located near the front foundation wall either completely visible or in a mechanical closet. The valve will be a few feet above the main water pipe. If you don’t have a basement, the valve could be located under the sink, in a mechanical closet, near the water heater or within the crawl space. If you cannot seem to find it, you can call a plumber to see if they can direct you to find it.
6. Why Is My Toilet Running? A running toilet could be caused by a few things. The most common cause is that the flapper or the floater is malfunctioning. You may be able to fix this yourself with a quick Google search. If not, you can always call a plumber. Another reason why your toilet may be running is that you have a water leak in your toilet or in your piping. A leak would cause your toilet to continue running to make up for the lost water. To check if it’s a toilet leak you can put a few drops of food coloring into your tank. Wait about 20 to 30 minutes and then flush your toilet. If there is color in the tank then you have a leaking toilet. If not, you may have a leaky pipe. Either way, you will need to call a plumber to resolve the issue.
7. Why Is There a Sewer Odor In and Around My House? If you have been noticing a sewer odor in and around your house then you most likely have a sewer leak. Check for any puddles in your backyard or especially green spots. If the smell is coming from inside, try to figure out where the smell is strongest. Once you have identified where the smell is the strongest, you need to call a plumber. They will be able to use a camera pipe inspection tool to locate the leak and find a solution.
Schedule Quality Desoto Plumbing Today If you are facing any of these problems or you need regular plumbing maintenance, trust Dial One Johnson Plumbing, Cooling and Heating. Our team has the expertise and knowledge necessary to handle any plumbing issue you may face. We are dedicated to providing only the highest quality workmanship and friendly customer service. At Dial One Johnson Plumbing, Cooling and Heating we provide maintenance, repairs and replacements for a variety of plumbing systems. To schedule an appointment with a qualified plumber Desoto, TX, give us a call at (972) 291-0740 or contact us online.