What to Look for When Choosing Heating Repair Services
When it comes to home repair, furnaces often follow Murphy’s Law. If breakdowns can happen at an inconvenient time, they will. The result can send even the most knowledgeable homeowner scrambling to keep their family comfortable and happy. Before you get into a sticky situation where all you have is a search for “heating repair near me,” do some research. There are plenty of HVAC contractors out there. And not all HVAC companies are created equal. For reliable heating repair services, call Dial One Johnson Plumbing, Cooling and Heating at (469) 240-5618. Continue reading for more information on what to look for when choosing heating repair services.
3 Things to Avoid When Choosing Heating RepairBefore we dive into what to look for, let’s discuss what you should avoid. This will save you time, money and headaches. The last thing you want is to have another contractor come out to fix subpar work.
1. Free ServicesA tactic that is employed by a number of heating repair companies is to offer free services. For budget conscious homeowners, this can be a welcome sight. However, it is important to understand that although the company may provide a free service, they will make up that cost in other ways. Some will add expense on to the bill once services are completed, meaning that if you go with their company you will be paying for it one way or another. Less reputable contractors may use the “free” hook to get inside the home, only to claim that, due to safety related concerns, they will need to shut off the furnace until repairs are completed. You may also hear that certain parts are “hard to find” for your furnace, which means they will be more expensive. Parts for major brands are generally in supply, so get a second opinion if you hear lines similar to these.
2. Using Only Google Reviews to Source ContractorsGoogle has revolutionized the contracting space by making more information available. You can find out a lot about an HVAC company with a simple search for “heating repair near me.” But using a Google review as the sole reason to choose a company is ill advised. Companies regularly employ people who provide fake reviews to improve overall Google ratings. That is not to say that all 5 star rated companies are doing this, as some do provide exceptional service. Rather, use the Google reviews as a starting place. Exclude any company with a rating that is under 4 stars, while also avoiding companies that only have a few reviews. Look for a contractor that is in your area, has been operating for a number of years and has a higher number of positive reviews.
3. Diagnosing Your Furnace Over the PhoneWith a quick search on YouTube or Google, homeowners can find nightmarish heating repair stories that have led to major issues. Sometimes they end with a full system replacement. Are there circumstances where replacement is the best option? Absolutely. However, many times repairs can be made. When calling in to schedule a repair, be careful about sight-unseen recommendations that you “might need a new furnace.” If you quickly agree, it can steer the conversation toward sales, rather than diagnosis. Being cautious and fully vetting a new service provider will ensure that you work with a reputable company that will provide you a trusted ally when heating repairs come up.
How to Hire the Best HVAC CompanyWhether you are looking for general maintenance or emergency repair services, there are a number of indicators to look for that will make the decision-making process easier.
Check CredentialsWorking with a licensed and insured HVAC repair company should always be your first choice. Not only will contractors be properly trained, they will also be familiar with local codes and regulations that will impact any repairs they are making. Contractors that have achieved professional-level credentials have two or more years of field experience and have passed an extensive examination process. Additionally, they will bring knowledge of common problems that may help as they diagnose any potential issues.
Know the Company’s OfferingsWhen narrowing down your selection, take a close look at the different offerings that each company has to offer. Reputable companies will state these with as much transparency as possible, listing all of their services on their website. Here are a few things to consider:
- Does the company provide emergency services?
- Does the company offer plumbing services?
- Does the company offer system replacement?
- Do they have offices located in your area?